Fun Kids’ Sports and Fitness Activities in the Phoenix Area
The summer may have slid into the rear view mirror, but there’s no need to stop being physically active. The sun’s still gonna shine (almost) every day of the fall and winter seasons here in sunny Phoenix, and lots of places offer after-school and weekend activities! Whether they’re geared toward the individual, set up for groups/teams, held indoors, outdoors, or even virtually, there’s definitely something fun for every kid in the Phoenix area. We did some digging to find some great options, so hang out here with us for a minute and see if there’s anything your kiddos may enjoy – and who knows - you may end up joining in with them!
And now, without further ado, here are some great options for kids’ activities in the Phoenix area:
AZ on the Rocks
Address: 16447 N. 91st St. Ste. 105, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Phone number: (480) 502-9777
Address: 4215 E. Bell Road, Suite 115
Phoenix, Arizona 85032
Phone number: 602-266-3494
Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Phoenix
Address: 13637 N Tatum Blvd #18, Phoenix, AZ 85032
Phone number: (480) 339-9019
**Check out some of their videos when you have time–the transformation you’ll see in these kids is really amazing!**
Beginners Edge Sports Training
Address: 7432 E. Tierra Buena Ln, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Phone number: (623) 748-9453
Arizona Badminton Center
Address: 2150 W. Broadway, Ste 107, Mesa, AZ 85202
Phone number: 480-699-2760
Witte Stables at Sandspur Ranch
Address: 12480 North 93rd Street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Phone number: Contact owners Susan Witte 602-750-0417 and Peter Witte 602-577-1661
Address: 920 E. Playa del Norte Dr., Tempe, AZ 85281
Phone number: 480-593-8559
Seasoned skater Markus Neustaedter takes budding skate stars of all skill levels on trips to skate parks around the region. Skate True sessions are each 4 hours long, and 2 different skate parks are visited every session. There are 35 skate parks on the company’s list, and they include both public and private skate parks throughout the area. Check out upcoming sessions to see what might work for your little skater-in-training. Private lessons are also available. Hours vary depending upon the sessions offered; check the calendar to plan your visit.
In June, July, and August, kiddos can join in once a week on day trips to cooler areas for skating. Diehards can make a longer road trip out of it and visit California’s Camp Woodward West, hitting legendary skate parks along the way back.
Glow Putt Mini Golf
Address: 9160 E. Shea Blvd. #110, Scottsdale, AZ 95260
Phone number: (480) 451-4569
Grab your putter and get ready for adventures at glow-in-the-dark Glow Putt Mini Golf! A perfect rainy day or evening activity for mini-golf fans, this spot is super duper indoor fun for a range of ages! Admission fees are listed on their pricing page. Discounts are offered for seniors, active military, fire department, and law enforcement with valid ID on hand. They offer party rooms and birthday party packages, too. Hours are M - F, 2 pm - 10 pm, Sat/Sun 10 am - 10 pm. (Last round begins at 9:15 pm.)
Arizona Archery Club
Address: 1115 W. Deer Valley Rd., Phoenix, AZ
Phone number: 623-266-4647
For a little something out of the ordinary, have your kid/s try their hand at archery. Private and group archery lessons are offered at Arizona Archery Club, and equipment is included. Skilled archers can get some practice at the climate-controlled archery range – but keep in mind reservations are required. The site also provides birthday and holiday parties for all ages, as well as corporate and team-building events for the win! Hours Tuesday through Saturday are 11 am - 5 pm, and they are closed Sunday and Monday.
Destiny Martial Arts Academy
Address: 13644 N. 75th Avenue 104, Peoria AZ 85381
Phone number: 623-213-8457
While their site emphasizes classes that improve focus, fitness, and confidence, Destiny Martial Arts offers kids’ classes (ages 4-12) and teen/adult classes (ages 13 and older), summer camp (get your kids off their screens and active with this exciting martial arts camp! Call for further details), and birthday parties (with cool digital RSVPs!). Kids with special needs can enjoy Destiny’s Unique Abilities program, featuring one-on-one instruction, small classes with 2-5 participants, and shadow classes, which are regular classes with additional assistants for extra help. What’s more? Anyone interested can take advantage of free introductory classes to get started and see if they like it. Hours vary by the day; please call ahead to schedule your visit.
Arizona Sunrays Gymnastics and Dance Center
Address: 15801 N 32nd St Phoenix, AZ 85032
Phone number: (602) 992-5790
Add a little dancing to a gymnastics studio, and you’ve got Arizona Sunrays! Choose your kiddo’s skill level for classes in ballet, hip hop, jazz, tap, and more, fitness instruction, and NinjaZone (littles ages 16 months to 11 years can build character and athleticism in these classes offered in 6 different skill levels). They also offer individual days or full weeks of camp at various times of the year, as well as optional extended hours when additional childcare is needed. But wait, there’s more!! Don’t scroll away until you take a peek at Kids’ Night Out, Baby Gym, field trips, special needs classes, holiday sleepovers, birthday parties, and so much more! Hours are Monday through Friday 9 am to 8 pm, Saturday 8 am to 2 pm, and closed Sunday.
Scottsdale Sports Complex
Address: 8081 E. Princess Drive, Scottsdale, AZ 85255
Phone number: 480-312-7529
Need a place big enough for your team’s tournament (or non-tournament) game? We’ve got just the spot for you! Located on a sprawling 71 acres, Scottsdale Sports Complex offers both lighted and non-lighted professionally groomed playing fields for sports like football, rugby, soccer, and lacrosse. Check their site for availability and to reserve a field. There are also playgrounds with plenty of shade, several walking paths, restrooms, and a large patio area on the grounds for taking breaks, family time, eating packed lunches, or having picnics. Enjoy!
EVO Swim School
Address: EVO’s Mesa/Gilbert location is: 3727 S. Power Road, Mesa, AZ 85212
Phone number: 480-404-6191
When you need to cool off, there’s not much better than a nice, refreshing dip in the nearest pool–and EVO has a lot to offer! This facility has an indoor pool for teaching and an outdoor pool with lanes for competitive swimming. The outdoor pool is substantially covered with shade sails, and parents or siblings can watch the indoor and outdoor pools at the same time while sitting in the air-conditioned viewing room. Lesson and swim team schedules are posted on the website. Come on out and chill out with the EVO Swim School team while learning and getting great exercise! Open year-round, there are different hours posted for different activities. Call for details before you plan your visit.
If you are interested in team sports, we have many great options in the area as well. Here are links to a few:
- I9 Sports offers flag football, soccer, basketball, baseball, lacrosse, and volleyball youth leagues for kids ages 3+ across the Phoenix area. https://www.i9sports.com/phoenix-youth-sports-leagues
- The YMCA offers basketball and volleyball for ages 3 to 18 at these locations (including, Chandler, Scottsdale, Tempe, and more).
- Boys and Girls Club offers basketball, flag football, and soccer for students in Grades 3 through 8 at numerous locations in Phoenix and the outlying regions.
- National Youth Sports has baseball, tee ball, basketball, soccer, flag football, tackle football, volleyball, and cheer at locations in Phoenix, Northeast Valley, Northwest Valley, Southeast Valley, West Valley, and more. Ages vary by program, from 3 to 16. *Note: NYS welcomes special needs children to play and ensures they will have a positive experience. Discuss your child’s needs with the league director to make sure they find the right placement.
- The Ray & Joan Kroc Corps Community Center in Phoenix offers basketball, soccer, flag football, and volleyball to ages 5 and up.
- Valley of the Sun JCC has youth (Pre-K through Grade 4) and teen basketball available, and may have other sports (like flag football and soccer) in the future.
- Athletes in Training offers after school sports programs for Grades K-6 throughout the region, including baseball, field hockey, soccer, basketball, and flag football.
- American Sports Center of Avondale has recreational basketball, soccer, and volleyball as well as competitive soccer for ages 5 to 17.
- CCV Stars has numerous locations, including Midtown and North Phoenix, as well as Chandler, East Valley, Peoria, Scottsdale, and more. Sports offered include baseball, basketball, football, and soccer. Special needs players are also invited to play.
- The City of Phoenix offers basketball, baseball, soccer, and football for ages 5 to 17.
- Future Stars has youth and teen soccer for ages 4 to 17, as well as summer camp programs and other activities.
So now that you’ve had a peek at some of our favorite activity spots for kids in and near our city, what do you think? Did anything look fun to you? Remember to tell us about any activity you enjoyed or even take a pic while you’re there and send them to us (or bring them with you to your next appointment)! Until then, work hard in school, have a blast in Phoenix in your free time, and remember to take great care of your teeth!
At Jungle Roots Children’s Dentistry & Orthodontics, we strive to provide the highest comprehensive pediatric and orthodontic dental care in a unique, fun-filled environment staffed by a team of caring, energetic professionals. We believe the establishment of a “dental home” at an early age is the key to a lifetime of positive visits to the dentist.